Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Blog Post #14 and #15

Although I have only taken a few of my education classes here at South, I hope the remaining classes will teach me most of what I need to know in order to become a successful teacher. One of my strengths that I think will help me in my teaching career is that I am open to new ideas and change. Before EDM 310, I was not aware that technology was used so much in the classroom. Now that I know all of the possibilities, I am excited to use them for myself. I also want to be able to learn different techniques and strategies from the veteran teachers who have been using technology in their classrooms. I am always ready to learn. One of my weaknesses is going to be how I also second guess things when making decisions. This is an awful habit of mine that I have to break before I become a teacher.

QR Codes are something that I have not heard of before, but find very interesting. In the video, the teacher created an audio file for her students to access where ever they would like. Her students can scan the QR codes with their smart phones and it will take them directly to the file. This way, students can have any audio recording their teachers want them to have just by scanning the code. One thing I have learned from
google.com
EDM 310 is I must try my hardest to have iPads in my classroom. In the video, iPad Reading Center, we see how iPad can be used to help younger students with their reading while teaching them how to use the technology. With the iPads, the students can record themselves while they read and then go back and listen to see if they read everything correctly. This way, students can also see how their reading progresses over time. The next video, Poplet with Ginger Tuck, students can create a visual map for any book they have read. This app allows students to work on their reading and typing skills while adding pictures and information to create their visual maps for the book.

As many of us know, Alabama Virtual Library is a helpful website when collection information. For kindergartners, AVL has an app that helps them with their reading. As students search for a word, the app will read the word out to them while the teachers asks them to draw what they are hearing. iMovie is one of my favorite parts of Apple. In the video, Tuck iMovie Trailer for Kindergarten, we see how Ms. Tuck uses iMovie in her classroom. She believes that iMovie is a great way for students to show that they understand what they are reading in the classroom. In the video, Tammy Shirley Discovery Education Board Builder Moon Project, we see how another app can help students have more fun while learning. The Discovery Education Board Builder app allows students to make poster board like presentations on the app to show what they have learned. They can add all off the pictures and information they would like to make their poster board their own.

In Dr. Strange's interview with Ms. Davis and Ms. Bennett about Twitter for Educators, they tell us how useful Twitter can be in the education world. Using
blog.twitter.com
Twitter has helped them keep up with the latest educational advances. Ms. Bennett conducts chats every night on Twitter that anyone can follow just by searching the hash tag begin used. This is a great and convenient way for educators from all over to communicate together. We All Become Learners is the last video we were assigned to watch. This one has my favorite message. Ms. Davis and Ms. Bennett tell us to remember that even though we are educators, we are still always learning from our students, especially when it comes to some of the technology we use in the classrooms. Some students know more about iPads and the different apps than I ever will. It is important to remember to always listen to our students and take what they teach us to heart.

Overall, I think that technology in the classroom is becoming a very big and important thing. The possibilities when using technology are endless. We can now teach in a more fun and entertaining way so that our students will want to learn. Engaging students and making them want to learn is my main goal as a teacher.

1 comment: