Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Blog Post #7

Here are a few 21st century learning and communication tools I found that may help me in my teaching career.

Discovery Education: The Discovery Education website has so many useful tools for all grade levels and all subject matters. I chose to look at the 9-12 English tools since that is my concentration area and I would like to teach high school. There are so many options for lesson plans on this site. There are many options for lesson plans that pertain to English/ Language Arts in high school. There are lesson plans for The Odyssey, The Great Gatsby, and even The Salem Witch Trials. I like the idea of English and History teachers finding a way to incorporate the other subject into their lesson plans whenever possible, so I really like that The Salem Witch Trials lesson plan is on this website. Once you click on the lesson plan you chose, like The Salem Witch Trials, it then gives you more options to choose from dealing with the subject. First, you see the objectives that the lesson plan covers then there are links to discussion questions, vocabulary, and even academic standards. This is my favorite teaching tool that I found today.

Teacher Vision: This website is divided into subject areas as well as grade levels and has many links to different activities for the students to complete. there are three groups of vocabulary resources for each stage of education as well as many spelling resources. Under the creative writing resources category, there are links to many writing activities that are more fun for students than your ordinary writing assignments. These range from Father's Day letters to daily journal entries. I think that making writing enjoyable for students is one of the key things to making them write to their best ability.

The Literacy Web: Once on the Literacy Web website, you select your grade level and it takes you to another homepage with many useful links. There are links to online lesson plans, how to integrate technology into your lessons, and there is even a professional development link. This website also gives links to classroom webpages so you can see what other teachers are doing in their classrooms.
teaching resources

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kayla I think this is a great informative blog post. I actually went to each link and did my own research into them. I like how you can find lesson plans on them. I believe as teachers we should all come together and share lessons and ideas and these site are great for that. I only saw one error in which you should capitalize a T at the beginning of a sentence. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete