Sunday, June 8, 2014

Blog Post #4

After reading Ben Johnson's blog,The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom,I realize that the questions "Does everyone understand?" may be one of the most used and unhelpful questions asked by teachers. I remember my teachers asking this question after almost everything they taught. In reality, not all of your students are going to fully understand everything you teach. I think the three second rule that Johnson mentions is brilliant. Waiting three seconds after asking a question before calling on a particular student will give every student in the classroom time to think about the answer to the question.
Students Raising Hands
In Asking Questions to Improve Learning and Three Ways to Ask Better Questions in the Classroom, I learned the types of questions you should and shouldn't ask students. The articles state that leading questions should be avoided so that the students can still come up with their own answers to questions. Teachers should also prepare the questions they want to ask their students and have them focuses on a specific subject. Also,if a students answers a question with simply a "yes" or a "no," then you should ask them to explain why they think that way. After watching Asking Better Questions in the Classroom Pt. 1, I realized that I am going to have some difficulty not interrupting students when they answer questions. I am bad about doing that with my family now. It is definitely something I am going to have to work on before I become a teacher.

After reading the assigned materials for this blog post, I have realized that teachers need to be prepared when asking students questions. We should know how to ask questions effectively and what type of questions to ask.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla! There were many times that a teacher would ask if every one understood something and if you did not say something right afterwards, they would move on. I love the idea of the three second rule because it gives students a chance to actually think about what you are doing and process it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and have them focuses"--focus

    "Also, if a students answers"--student

    Good post! Good job adding working links and alt/title modifiers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla! I also can remember teachers asking if everyone understood something. I think it is a good idea to pause and give the students a chance to answer. It may also be a good idea to ask again if everyone understood something. For those of us that are shy, we do not always want to be the first one to answer we did not understand something. I also have a problem wanting to interrupt when someone is talking especially if I do not agree with them. I will also have to work on this. I think it is important to seem interested in the students when they answer. Teachers also need to be prepared for any answers. When you work with children, you never know what they will say. Great job!

    ReplyDelete